Wednesday 27 July 2011

Getting the transport sorted & raising awareness



Well, I've done it...got myself a 2008 Land Rover, Freelander 2..now this means I can get Gillian on the insurance for the 10 days of the trip, pack it full of food, instant ice packs, strapping for my dodgie knee, food, spare inner tubes and tyres, my essential make-up (yes, make-up IS an essential)..oh and it will be a place for me to store my bike overnight. I'm having a shift in my fear, I mean thinking, about the mammoth cycle. I'm thinking of it as a 10 day holiday, each day there will be a "jaunt" on my bike sometimes accompanied by friends, sometimes on my own. I can take it as slowly as I like, and each evening I'll arrive at a B&B where I'll get a cosy shower, and a comfy bed. Bliss! Now this new way of thinking will stay intact providing there is no hurricane force winds for me to battle, horizontal rain battering against my face, punctures, close shaves with traffic or general grumpiness on my part.

So, as the start date creeps ever closer and my mindset changes from blind panic to a resigned acceptance I remind myself of what this is REALLY about. I want to raise about £2K for SHELTER, and I need all the help I can get to help raise awareness of this event. I might find it a challenge, I might have moments where, faced with a hill that never seems to have a top, I catch myself wondering why I decided to do it. But as I sit in my comfortable, cosy home, my own place where I can live with total peace of mind I never take that for granted, and want to help others find the same peace and security.


"Shelter Scotland believes everyone should have a home. We help people find and keep a home. We campaign for decent housing for all." - Shelter Scotland Website

No comments:

Post a Comment