Tuesday 25 January 2011

It's a start....


Well yesterday I picked up my bike from Andrew's Outdoor Store in Forfar - he and Chris had done a great job and he even helped me lift it into the boot of my car..no mean feat.

I got it home and fitted my helmet - which I might add Andrew told me means my head isn't actually THAT big...despite my parents making me feel paranoid about it. Size 58 1/2 does not in fact make me a medical mystery.

Anywhooos...I jumped on the bike and went for a very short (maybe a mile...I know, I know this is taking starting slowly to the extreme) cycle round the village. Thing is...my thighs weren't quite ready for that experience..AND there was a wind in my face.

I imagine (in my dreams) that cycling from Dundee to Thurso will involve sunshine, flat roads and no traffic.

Other good news is that I heard back from Raising the Roof in Canada and Swags for the Homeless in Australia and they're going to send me the appropriate bits and pieces to set up a justgiving donations page for their homeless charities too.

My Andrew also mentioned speaking with his friend Drew Richards from JM Richards Cycle Shop in George St, Perth about bikey stuff. There are way too many Andrews in this story...but they're all good people and all very helpful so that's the main thing! We spoke about hybrid bikes...and I told him (very knowledgably) that Andrew in Forfar had put hybrid tyres on my bike. For those of you that remember my earlier blog, I didn't actually know the right name, but instead just called them, "less grippy".

Anyway, with all these experts on my side it's going to be easy peasy..providing I can cycle for more than a mile in a teeny weeny headwind.

Also today Tricia from the Dundee SHELTER office rang up to set up a day when we can meet up, meet the Lord Provost and get a photo and a wee story in The Courier. I need to keep bashing on with raising the profile of the event so I can get some serious money raised for SHELTER.

Okay, that's all for now - I'm off for a quick ride on my bike before Charlie comes home from school.

Spread the word for me!
Kathleen x

"How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment