Thursday 6 January 2011

Walking with wheel involvement!


Had a funny old day today! So the long and short of it is...the walk has turned into a cycle! This has come about as a result of discussions with my friend Clare who called to chat to me about the route and her concerns about my plan to walk on some pretty scary stretches of road.

I'll still be going from Dundee to Thurso over 10days, travelling about 25miles a day - and though initially I felt as if this is was a bit of a cop out she pointed out, "You'll be knackered by the end of doing that for 10 days back to back!"

I called Andrew tonight to tell him, he too was somewhat relieved and prefers the idea of me pedalling my way to Thurso

I'm not a cyclist..and here starts the next exciting part of this journey! Tomorrow I'm going to speak to a man in Forfar about my bike (currently my bike is stuck in the shed behind some chicken wire, a lawnmower and a rake). I did have it serviced a couple (I love it when folk say a "couple" when they don't mean two) of years ago. It's a mountain bike, and Clare explained that I might be able to change the tyres so they're not so "grippy" on the road sections of the trip. I should add that Clare didn't use that word, but that's what she meant and I can't remember the technical term! She did say the word hybrid at one point..I do remember that much! I'll be chatting to the man in Forfar about that and other concerns like...does he have a cycle helmet that will fit me? I'm not joking I have a HUGE head...size 58 1/2 ...no joke..I never wear hats as it casts a shadow over the event and it's not fair to cast any more shadows when you live in Scotland!

Okay so for now I will head to bed and try not to think too much about puncture repair kits and all that m'larky. Do you still need spoons and a bowl of soapy water to change the inner tube? What was all that about anyway? Do tyres have inner tubes anymore...oh dear there's a lot to learn!

More later of course!

Kathleen x

"Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." -Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment